Thursday, April 24, 2008

Potty Training

UGHHH! That's about how I feel with it right now. Probably everyone knows the frustration of potty training. I decided yesterday, with one diaper left, that I am SO tired of buying diapers and changing Caleb. He turned 4 in February and has made almost no progress toward being potty trained. I told Caleb that I'm not buying diapers again and that he has to learn. So I put him in "big boy" underwear all day yesterday. He went in his pants twice at home and twice at Chloe's soccer game....and not once in the toilet I brought one change of clothes to the soccer game because I knew he probably would.....and he did before the game even started. Then we let them play on the playground after the game and he did there again.

It's hard because he has only gone in the toilet one time EVER....and that was last summer at my parents' house. I don't think he gets it. He "tries" all the time but says that he can't get it to come out. We have tried every incentive. In fact, yesterday he asked if we could go to Chuck E. CHeese again and I said, "yeah, if you go in the toilet we'll go that day for dinner" to which he replied, "I don't like all these things that I get when I go in the toilet." Seriously, when that kid finally goes in the toilet once, he'll be the happiest kid because we'll be going to Chuck E. Cheese, he'll get to wear his new transformers underwear, ice cream cones, new jammies, swimming lessons, etc.!!

I even left him in his undies last night and he kept them dry all night. Then this morning, I had him try to go and about 5 minutes after he tried, he went in his pants (and on the carpet...YUCK!)

I don't know what to do to make him get it. I have to make sure all his pants are clean at the beginning of the day because by the end, they'll all be dirty.....and I'll wash them again for the next day! Will it ever end?

4 comments:

Mary said...

You're making me scared to potty train Cale. I have a feeling it will be the same story. Hang in there!!

Lindsay said...

Potty training is one of the hardest things to do! I was miserable during it! If we turn things into a competition Carter is up for whatever. Is Caleb like that? Tell him that he will be able to throw the football further and be faster. I don't know...Carter falls for it. Just like his Dad...wants to beat everyone. Hope it gets better. Here's to lots of laundry. Another friend of mine made her daughter clean it up when she peed and that fixed the problem.

Anne-Marie said...

Stefany, I totally empathize. Potty training was such a chore with Kanoa too, but I can attest that one day they just get it. (not without the occasional accident still)

I think boys are especially hard, because they are just too busy having fun to go to the bathroom & they don't mind being dirty. Hang in there!

Stefany said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to try making him clean it up!