Saturday, September 6, 2008

I DID IT!!


Me and Holly at the finish line!!!



Me and my cheerleading crew...they were cute clapping for me right before the finish line!

YEAH!! I finished my first half marathon this morning! 13.1 miles!!! I did it in 2 hours 15 minutes and 51 seconds. I averaged a 10 minute 22 second mile which was about what I was aiming for! It feels so good to accomplish this goal that I've been working toward for a few months. I was a little nervous with the problems I've been having with my knee, but I guess the torture at the physical therapist paid off. My knee felt great for a lot of it. Around 7 or 8 miles I could feel it starting to feel not quite right. By mile 9 it was hurting, but I just kept pushing. I didn't stop running at all (except to drink water a couple times at the water station....I tried drinking it while running and it just didn't work). I walked to drink at about 9 1/2 or 10 miles and my knee was killing me when I stopped, so I skipped the last drink station, because I knew if I walked I might not be able to start running again. I'm SOOOO glad I had a running partner. Holly is awesome and kept me motivated (and I think I helped her too!). We did our long Saturday runs together in training. That last mile or so was tough, but we finished!! It was so great to have a friend to run it with and I was so glad that we were able to stay together for the whole thing (I was worried with my knee that I might have to walk)!

Now I'm just going to rest and ice my aching knees because they are hurting!!!

I need to get the pictures on my computer....they'll be coming soon!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am ao proud of you. There was never a doubt you could and would get it sone IF you knee would let you. Now you deserve a long rest.

Love,
Gma

emily anderson said...

yah!!
congrats on finishing the marathon...that is a total accomplishment!

Andrea Wiseman said...

dang you rock! seriously hat is no small feat! I have to say even with the bruises and the farmers tan-you're leg looks good-like a nice long lean runners leg!

Just BE said...

Wow! Congrats to you! Your legs look awesome btw...I'm jealous!

Allyson said...

You are awesome! That is huge...don't think I would try that. Good job!

Mary said...

Congrats!! That is so GREAT!! I am very proud of you!! How are your bruises?!?! : (

Lindsay said...

Way to go Stef. Amazing and great time too! I am so impressed and jealous of those awesome running legs!

Rocia said...

awesome job! it is the best feeling to do one of these. an even better feeling.....no more long saturday runs! congrats!

Gleason Family said...

Very impressive. Great job!

Anne-Marie said...

I am so proud of you Stef! Even with all the leg problems you have suffered-you did it!
(I want the running bug to rub off on me again post-baby)

jen said...

wow stef... that is amazing! I would never purposely subject myself to that kind of torture but hey I am still impressed with you!

Jen said...

You are so strong and such a great example. You made up your mind to do it and you did!!!!! Tell Holly that I said hi will ya??? I haven't seen that girl in forever!!!!! Congrats to both of you =).